Lucy Minerals Lucy Light Foundation Review

I'm extra excited to write this review, because, after looking for over a year now, I may have just found my perfect foundation! 


The Company
Lucy Minerals is another great mineral makeup brand.  Annie, the owner, started making mineral foundation to cover her own rosacea and eventually began selling it as well.  What's unique about most of Lucy Minerals' foundations is that they contain an antioxidant blend of Apple Poly® polyphenols, trans-resveratrol, and green coffee bean extract.  You can find more information about the antioxidants on the Lucy Minerals website.  

I've never been a big fan of mineral foundation, just because I've never gotten enough coverage from a mineral foundation to suit my liking.  I'd read lots of good reviews of Lucy Minerals and heard how completely different it was to most mineral foundations, so I decided to order a couple "try it" sizes.  Try it foundations come in 5-gram jars (with sifters) and sell for only $2 each.  

Foundation
Lucy Minerals has several different foundation formulas.  I decided to try the Lucy Light Foundation and ordered samples in light and bisque, which are the two lightest neutral shades.  The 'light' in the name doesn't refer to the coverage, but rather to absence of the antioxidants that are added to most of Lucy's foundations.  My skin has reacted to several foundations in the past, so I went with this formula to avoid any extra ingredients and cut down on the chance of getting any kind of reaction.

Application
Right from the first application, I was very impressed.  You really only need a small amount of foundation to achieve an amazing finish.   One thing to keep in mind is that Lucy's foundations do give a heavier coverage than a lot of other mineral foundations, so you can end up looking cakey if you apply too much, which is why I'd stress the importance of applying multiple light layers over one heavier layer.  First, I stipple on a light layer all over with an Essence of Beauty flat top blender brush.  Then, with a concealer brush, I apply a little extra to any blemishes, discoloration, or anywhere else that needs extra coverage.  Lastly, I go over it again with the blender brush and buff on another thing layer all over.  

Essence of Beauty Blender Brush

Coverage
What I love most about this foundation is the finish it gives.  My skin has been pretty good lately, but the foundation covers any redness or blemishes I have and completely evens out my skin tone.  At the same time, it does not look like I am wearing any makeup!  My biggest pet peeve with foundation is if it's obvious you're wearing it.  Lucy Minerals makes it look like my skin itself is amazing, not like I'm wearing a good foundation.  It has a matte finish, but still leaves my skin looking very healthy and natural. 

Wear
I get about 8 hours of perfect wear with just the foundation.  Around the 8 hour mark, I sometimes start to see a bit of shine come through on my nose or forehead.  It's nothing major, but ideally, I'd like to be able to get a few more hours of wear before having to blot or touch up.  Lucy Minerals recommends using a finishing powder and I have a sample of Silk Naturals' Perfecting Powder that I'm going to try with the foundation next.  Lucy Minerals also makes several of their own finishing powders.

Bottom Line
I'm so glad I didn't give up on mineral foundations before trying Lucy Minerals.  In terms of colours, I was lucky enough to find a perfect match in light, but I do hope they extend the shade range in the future, as it is a little limited.  They are willing to work with you and custom blend a foundation if you fall between two colours, but especially if you have darker skin, you might not find a match.   Another plus is that price-wise, Lucy Minerals is also less expensive than many other brands, at only $12 for the (full size) light formula and $14 for the formulas with added antioxidants.  If you're looking for a new foundation and do find a possible colour match, I highly recommend picking up a sample or two.  I've been using mine for about 3 weeks now and I think I've gone through less than half the sample.  I'll definitely be ordering the full size when I start to run low!


         

2 comments